We are a music living and learning community based at Cornell College designed to educate, perform, and learn.
Wednesday, November 3, 2010
Women's "Locust Valley" and Coley Jones' "Drunkard's Special"
I don't know any of the words to this song. I try to sing along with it as often as possible, but if you listened to me singing along to it and then took away the recording, it would just sound like me mumbling half-ideas half-melodically. Does that make my preference for this music an ignorant one? I can say that I love it because it sounds nostalgic to me; the way the recording is fuzzy and 60s and the harmonies are subtle, but oh so satisfying! I like listening to this song during sunset, but maybe that doesn't concern you.
It's all in the voice. Coley Jones speaks so plainly and the melody is so formulaic, but it's extremely attractive. And when he interludes a few of his verses with "come here, honey," my goodness! It's haunting and peculiar, and I want to hear it over and over again. I can never remember exactly when he says it in the song, probably because I spend a majority of my time waiting to hear it, almost ignoring the rest of the music. Honestly: who needs leitmotifs when you have that?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.