Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Brahms: Intermezzo in A major, op. 118 no. 2

While I've been listening to pieces like Beethoven's 3rd symphony all my life, I came across this piece for piano by Brahms somewhat recently. In fact, I heard it for the first time in music theory class my freshman year. Professor Jama Stilwell played it for us one morning and, afterwards, remarked, "Isn't that just beautiful?". The first listening certainly captured my attention, but it was the multiple listenings afterwards that drew me in. I love its subtlety. I love the way the left and right hands fall into each other and intermingle. I love its quiet beauty and contemplative nature. I love it all.


I like the version by Stephen Kovacevich best.

1 comment:

  1. I also heard this in Jama's theory class for the first time. She said "this is one of the most beautiful pieces of music ever written." There is absolutely nothing biased about that statement, for real.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.